Most Online Today: 8
Most Online Ever: 116
(September 04, 2009, 11:32:03 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 3
Baidu

Author Topic: Worth switching to U-Verse  (Read 2712 times)

Casey

• Wears sandals in the snow
  • Buttslaps: 0
  • I'm new here
Worth switching to U-Verse
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
Hello! First post here - used to go to Uverseusers.com but their site seems a little dead these days...

I currently have DirecTV, which has gone up in price significantly ($99.98/mo. for Choice Xtra Classic) after the 12-mo. promotional period, but I have about 10 mo. left on the 2-yr. commitment. So, I received an offer in the mail to add TV to my U-verse internet.

Called to see what that was all about and got this offer:

U300 with DVR and wireless receiver for $70.99/mo. for 12-mo.
$200 VISA gift card
Upgrade to 18Mb internet for the same price I'm currently paying
Starz, SHO, Encore, TMC included in the price ($25 gift card each from SHO and Encore)
HBO and Cinemax free for 3 months

That sounded like a great deal, so I called DirecTV to see what they could offer me and they offered to lower my bill to $70.98/mo. with the HD Xtra pack, Starz and DVR for 6-mo. free, SHO for 3-mo. free.

Since I like DTV that also sounded like a great deal! So I called AT&T back, and here's the kicker...

They offered me the same U300 package, but this time for $50.99/mo. with a $100 gc and a 1-yr commitment.

I'm torn... When we had U-verse in Austin in 2009 the picture quality wasn't nearly as good as DTV, but it's been 3 years... has it gotten any better since then? We are in San Antonio now... is it any better here?

Need a little help from you kind folks!

kryptonite

• Shadow boxer
  • Buttslaps: 10
  • Happy-go-lucky
Re: Worth switching to U-Verse
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
Keep in mind that $100 gift card will probably pay for the early termination fee from DirecTV, so it's probably not worth factoring into the equation.

Obviously, with DirecTV, it may or may not go out in the rain or really bad weather. As long as you have power, your U-Verse is good.

U-Verse used to be great with their four tuners...meaning, the whole house could be tuned in to four live streams at once.

I don't know if you took that DirecTV offer, but you should have...even if you don't take the newest AT&T offer, at least you would have finished with a good DirecTV deal.

You've had U-verse, so you know how it works with the streams of live TV not being like a traditional channel. :)

In terms of picture quality, it seems to have improved a bit, but I *do* notice a bit of blurring/pixellation in the background during fast moving scenes like basketball games or NASCAR races. Another example might be if a lot of confetti is falling...that isn't a good image to have on your screen.

Someone posted a screen shot earlier that shows proof that AT&T is working on additional streams. Unfortunately, they didn't have any additional HD streams, IIRC, but more streams are always better.

In terms of what I found, DirecTV is the king of sports, but U-Verse is the king of movies. The most-requested channels from U-Verse seem to be BeIN Sports, Hallmark, Hallmark Movie Channel, and NHL Network. Obviously, as I'm sure you know, they don't have any of the digital sub-channels or local on the 8's.

Check their channel lineup online and make sure you see what you want. Look over it very carefully, because it might be possible to miss something.

U-Verse reps seem to be clueless when it comes to channels, or they're told "we're working on it" in order to snag a sale a bit easier.

A few years ago, it was possible to run the old provider and U-Verse together during the U-Verse "money back guaranteed if you don't like it" trial period. This might have changed with the contract, but it would be worth asking about.

You seem to understand it a bit more than others, but just remember that your first U-Verse bill will be higher, since you pay a month in advance...you'll essentially be paying for one whole month PLUS a partial month...so don't freak out when they promise $77, but it's really closer to $130 or $140.

+-Recent Topics

Why doesn't this work? (IP proxy stuff) by kryptonite
August 20, 2014, 01:08:53 PM

The new AT&T forums by catchtwentytwo
August 13, 2014, 03:38:45 PM

Sheriff Al Lamberti's detectives offer one way to stop smoking. ;-) by Whatnow
August 04, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Apparently, I don't understand streams by kryptonite
July 07, 2014, 07:23:32 PM

So this is interesting by Whatnow
July 02, 2014, 09:17:15 PM

Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - by Whatnow
June 07, 2014, 08:02:38 AM

Comcrap Defined by kryptonite
May 19, 2014, 01:24:19 PM

uv realtime distance estimator by Whatnow
May 15, 2014, 05:12:07 AM

Where'd everyone go? by BridgeTap
May 11, 2014, 10:25:34 AM

Masters channels are live by kryptonite
April 10, 2014, 09:13:28 AM